Generally all red and raised welts are believed to be spider bites. Contrary to the general belief, usually most spider bites are harmless. For all practical purposes, the culprit spider causing the bites goes unnoticed.
Types of venomous spiders
- People believe that all spiders are poisonous. But most spiders are too small and their venom is too weak to harm humans. But the general tendency is that all the blames regarding spider bites are put on certain spiders.
- In US, the black widow spiders are considered as the most poisonous.
- Other countries call the red back spider as widow spider.
- It is a general acceptance that all shiny black spiders with a red mark belong to the widow family.
- The brown widow is another type of widow spider, which has weaker toxin and is found all over the world.
- For years in the recent past, the brown recluse spiders have garnered a lot of attention. In spite of making large wounds, the brown recluse spider does not cause any significant injuries as compared to those inflicted by the black widow spiders.
- Mostly the boils caused by infections are mistaken and diagnosed as brown recluse spider bites. The Brown recluse spiders are mostly found in the southeast US. There are many other types of recluse spiders, but they are not as poisonous as Brown recluse. In the midsection of their back, the Brown recluse spiders have a violin shaped mark.
- The wolf spiders, white tail spiders, desert recluse spiders and others, whenever they bite, do create some kind of reactions over and across the body.
- To sum up, there are more than 37500 species of spiders
What does a spider bite look like ?
- Generally the spider bites go unnoticed, but it leaves the markings of reactions such as irritation, itching, a numb feeling or tingling sensation and a red and swollen bump on skin.
- Two tiny puncture marks on the bump caused by the fangs of the spider can be seen through a magnifying glass. Some time the markings may not be visible due to its microscopic nature
- The spider bite is distinct from other insect bites. The spider bites only once and then runs away.
- In spider bite, one can notice two tiny identical bite marks. Normally insects leave one single bite mark.
- The shape of the spider bite will always be slightly raised or rounded, while most of the insect bites look flat
Symptoms of Spider bites
- Generally it is very difficult to determine the bite of a spider. A study on the bite of Brown recluse spider reveals that the victim generally tends to report the spider bite to a doctor only after a few days after getting bitten. This in turn makes it difficult to pin point the culprit that caused the spider bite.
- The bites of black widow are identified only by the signs of its degree of poison on the victim’s body. This is due to the fact that the bite markings of the black widow are not visible.
The bite reactions for all types of spiders are almost same as indicated below:
The victims should be concerned when:
- The reactions continue for more than 24 hrs.
- Redness spreads away from the point of bite to other areas of the body
- Drainage occurs from the bite
- Increase in pain is experienced
- Numbness/ tingling sensations are felt
- Discoloration happens around the bite and which looks like a bulls-eye
To identify the spider bite correctly, one should see the Spider bite picture gallery. It is a fact that only an expert doctor can correctly identify the spider bite. As a matter of fact most diagnosis of wounds is incorrectly diagnosed as spider bites. Apart from thousand types of bug and spider bites, the skin reactions from infections, poisons, allergies, chemicals and from medications can also cause the symptoms.
Victims should seek medical aid if they notice the following:
- Shortness of breath
If the symptoms appear away from the point of bite, one should seek medical aid. Black widow spiders posses toxin, which may affect the functioning of muscle contraction and nerve functioning.
The following symptoms can be seen all over, when a severe brown recluse spider bites:
- Body aches
- Rapid pulse
- Leg cramps
- Stomach cramps
Treatment of Spider bites
- The victims should update their tetanus vaccination by calling a doctor.
- In case of extreme emergency, victims can call on 911.
- There is no first aid for spider bites. Systemic reactions due to the black widow or the Brown recluse bites should be treated by medical staff only. If the signs continue for more than 24 hrs or if it becomes serious, the victim should take the help of a doctor.
- As the doctors are also susceptible to suggestions, the victim should not tell the doctor that it is a spider bite, without knowing it. It should be left to the doctor to diagnose.
Pics of Spider bites